“He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me” (Psalm 18:19) .
Psalm 18In my cluttered closet where I grab a shirt and pair of jeans and put on my leather cowboy boots each morning, I have a mirror over my dresser drawers. I look into that mirror as little as possible (to avoid looking at my old, wrinkled hillbilly face)! But, when I brush and dry my hair, I look up and smile as I see the only two pictures on my mirror. One picture is of my daughter, Courtney, and the other is of my daughter, Jamie! Just two pictures. Those two photographs have been hanging on that mirror for over 20 years.
That’s how it goes with a sentimental, old dad like me!
Just across the skinny closet is a treasure chest hidden behind my unimpressive shirt and coat rack. Inside the chest are my life’s treasures – my daughters’ first tiny shoes, my son’s first size four football cleats, two tiny plaster casts that my son wore on his crooked feet in his toddler bed, dozens of handwritten cards and love letters from my four children and fourteen grandchildren.
That’s a daddy’s heart you see! It’s a picture of a daddy’s heart. That’s why God says in Romans 8:14-16, “ For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, ‘Abba! Father!’ The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God .”
- Psalm18:1-3 – “‘I love You, O Lord, my strength.’ The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.” How does God’s amazing love of a benevolent father give you security as you “graze upon the grassy pastures of the mountainside” as a lamb under the constant care of your Shepherd Father?
- Zephaniah3:17 “The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.”
Describe the feelings that rise up inside you as you behold the inviting heart of love that God offers you, His adopted?
- I John3:1 -“ See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us,that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him .”
Psalm 19:1 – “ The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. ”
In all the universe, the world’s most astute cosmologists believe that planet earth is the only place suitable for life as we know it today. It is obvious as science and scripture become a congruent sonnet that God built planet earth as a home for His children to grow up and develop a fondness for their Creator-Dad.
How has that knowledge changed and molded your life as you have moved closer and closer to the heart of your Shepherd
- Psalm19:7-11 “The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether. They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them Your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward .”
In the past week, how have prayer, scriptural meditation and faith through your own life challenges drawn you closer to your Shepherd’s heart?
- Psalm20:7 -“Some boast in chariots and some in horses, but we will boast in the name of the Lord, our God.”
How does God’s amazing love for you cause you to make Him the central focus of your verbal and lifestyle proclamation?
John13:15 – “For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.” From today’s scripture, how does THE Shepherd inspire you to shepherd your flock?
“Therefore I will give thanks to You among the nations, O Lord, and I will sing praises to Your name” (Psalm 18:49).
Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication