“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?” Psalm 27:1
Psalm 27The book “Fearless” is a tear-jerking, true story about a U.S. Navy SEAL named Adam Brown who gave his life in the fight to free the world from tyrannical Taliban terrorists in Eastern Afghanistan. This New York Times best-seller brilliantly describes Adam’s road to SEAL Team Six qualification and his personal battle to overcome cocaine addiction and become one of the truly greatest freedom fighters in United States military history.
In spite of the loss of an eye and the use of one of his thumbs, Adam’s fearless perseverance and determination carried him through battle after battle in training, as well as in combat, to maintain the highest standard of excellence in all that he accomplished.
But, Adam learned his fearlessness from His Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. If Adam were alive today, he’d tell you that Jesus’ example of his fearless walk up “the hill of the skull” with The Cross carried on His torture-shredded back was his road map to courage. “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear” (Psalm 118:6 ESV).
1. Psalm 27: 1 – 2-“The Lord is my light and my salvation ; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; whom shall I dread? When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh, my adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.”
How does your fearlessness grow in direct proportion with the closeness of your relationship with your Shepherd?
2. Psalm 27: 2 – 3-“When evil doers came upon me to devour my flesh, my adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell. Though a host encamp against me, my heart will not fear; though war arise against me, in spite of this I shall be confident.”
If you use the metaphor of The Shepherd and His flock, where would you, as a lamb, position yourself in the herd if a predator approached?
How does that apply to the way you walk with Jesus? How do you accomplish that on a daily basis?
3. Psalm 27:4-“One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple.”
How do you identify with David in this passage?
4. Psalm 27: 5-6-“For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle ; in the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock. And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me, and I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.”
As you appropriate the mindset of David in this passage, how does confidence to walk in fearlessness overtake you?
5. Psalm 27:8-“When you said,‘Seek my face’, my heart said to You,‘Your face, O Lord, I shall seek.’”
How does walking “face to face with Jesus” make you brave in the battles you face?
“For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.”John 13:15-
From today’s scripture, how does THE Shepherd inspire you to shepherd your flock?
“Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord” Psalm 27:14.