“So teach us to number our days, that we may present You a heart of wisdom” – (Psalm 90:12).
You see, every morning you are presented a check of highest value with 86,400 seconds that can be spent, invested or wasted at your discretion. At the end of the day, the check is valued at zero with nothing held over to be spend the next day. You are only guaranteed one check for your entire lifetime. God never promised tomorrow; only today.
There are a million ways to waste this, your most valuable commodity, but only one way to invest it to yield the highest return; to pour God’s word and God’s love into the life of someone else so they can pour it into another. It’s called “legacy”. It is the best investment of a lifetime.
- Psalm 90:1-4 – “Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were born or You gave birth to the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God. You turn man back into dust and say, ‘Return, O children of men.’ For a thousand years in Your sight are like yesterday when it passes by, or as a watch in the night.”
What does this passage say about the attributes of God?
- Psalm 90:5-6– “You have swept them away like a flood, they fall asleep; in the morning they are like grass which sprouts anew. In the morning it flourishes and sprouts anew; toward evening it fades and withers away.”
Psalm 103:15-16 - “As for man, his days are like grass; as a flower of the field, so he flourishes. When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, and its place acknowledges it no longer.”
What is David reassuring about brevity of life?
- Psalm 90:9-10 – “For all our days have declined in Your fury; we have finished our years like a sigh. As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years, or if due to strength, eighty years, yet their pride is but labor and sorrow; for soon it is gone and we fly away.”
Why is investing in things of eternal value the only rational use of our 86,400 daily check?
How are you doing with your priorities in this current phase of your life?
- Psalm 90:12 – “So teach us to number our days, that we may present You a heart of wisdom.”
How does your use of your precious minutes need to change?
- Psalm 90:16-17 – “Let Your work appear to Your servants and Your majesty to their children. Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; and confirm for us the work of our hands; yes, confirm the work of our hands.”
How do you plan to best invest your time in your life mission to yield the highest dividends possible?
John 13:15 – “For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.”
From today’s scripture, how does THE Shepherd inspire you to shepherd your flock?
“So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12.
Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication