“The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me ” (Psalm 16:5 & 6) .
Being a native Texan, I can laugh at the jest about our Texas tendency to dream excessively!
In a similar satirical manner, Dr. Seuss tells a story about “Yertle the Turtle” who wanted to see and own the world by stacking up all the turtles in his happy little pond so he could stand on their backs and see the world that he believed he had the right to rule. With very little care for the pain he was causing the turtles upon which he made his stand, “Yertle the Turtle” demanded that all turtles climb upon each others’ backs to give his self-made throne a world-wide view of all he believed he had dominion over. That is until a turtle named “Mack”, at the bottom of the stack, burped which caused the entire stack to come tumbling down and plummeted Yertle the Turtle to the floor of the muddy pond below.
- Psalm16:1&2 -“ Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You. I said to theLord,‘You are my Lord; I have no good besides You.’ ”
What does it mean to you to say, “I have no good besides You”?
- Philippians4:11&12 – “Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
Like Yertle the Turtle and Texans in the satires, what are the dangers and pitfalls of greed?
- Describe the virtue of contentment by a lamb who “grazes in the pasture” of Jesus our Shepherd?
- Psalm23:1 -“ The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. ”
If Jesus is our Shepherd, is He enough to you?
- Why should Jesus’ provision of grace be sufficient for you?
- Honestly describe how your heart seeks after more,even when you already have Jesus’ provision granted to you.
- Philippians4:5-7 -“ Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus .” Why does greed lead to anxiety?
- Psalm16:11 -“ You will make known to me the path of life;in Your presence is fullness of joy;in Your right hand there are pleasures forever .”
What is David trying to communicate to you in this passage?
- How would your life be different if Jesus was truly enough for you?
John13:15 – “For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.”
From today’s scripture, how does THE Shepherd inspire you to shepherd your flock?
“You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever ” (Psalm 16:11).
Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication